Sunday, August 10, 2008

Hi!

My first post in my new blog.

Hmmm, why am I doing this?
Partly because I'm isolated and have no-one to talk to, so you're it :)
Partly because I like to write things to process them.
Partly because a lot of this has been hard and if others can learn from it, great!

So a bit more of an introduction, I used to be a science and maths teacher in remote Secondary schools. I have spent the last 10 years or so in tiny little isolated towns teaching mainly Aboriginal students, and have a strong belief that just because they can't read/write/speak English they can still learn Maths and Science!!!!! So education in general is one of my passions.

(Midget just did a poosplosion while DH was holding her, so Widget is now wandering around saying "Shi fackry! Shi fackry!)

Cloth nappies - I have massive oversupply and my poor daughters take after my side of the family, extremely short with thighs Colonel Sanders would be proud of. So while I love Modern Cloth Nappies (MCN) there weren't any that fitted them well, so I designed my own. I thought there must be other odd-shaped babies out there, and started Waggle-Wee Kids, selling pocket and fitted nappies plus other things I like to make. I would never ever have predicted that I would be passionate about nappies of all things, expect lots of posts about them.

When I was an isolated new Mum I discovered a wonderful website and forum for the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA). They became my Mother's Group, and I am still active almost 3 years later. I am a breastfeeding fanatic. Not that I think everyone should breastfeed at all costs, but I think we should ALL be angry that women and babies are being cheated. Our society does not value and support breastfeeding. I can only imagine how heartbreaking it must be to think your body doesn't work, to think you can't do something for your baby. Of course some women can't, but just as many women could if given the right support and information.

Expect lots of rants about tolerance, or lack thereof. This gig is hard enough without making it harder for each other. Our world has grown, so we have had to find other ways of defining us and them. It can't be colour or nation anymore, so it's become cloth versus disposables, breast versus bottle, home versus hospital. Plus most of us are feeling so guilty because of the ridiculous pressures we put on ourselves that we have to find SOME way to feel superior to other people.

OK Widget needs attention, seeya

No comments: